Embassy of Belgium in the United Kingdom
Home Travel to Belgium Visa for Belgium

Visa for Belgium

Mandatory forms for travel to Belgium

For any questions regarding the Passenger Locator Form, the sworn statement and the COVID-19 test and the quarantine obligation in Belgium, travelers should check the website www.info-coronavirus.be/en/ or contact the FPS Public Health

Public consultation

The European Commission has decided to launch a public consultation on the perspective of digitalisation of the visa procedure (E-visa) and on the creation of an EU online visa application portal, aimed at a target audience: the travel industry, European agencies directly or indirectly linked to the EU visa policy, visa applicants and the general public. Read more...



For the time being and until further notice, Belgian embassies and consulates no longer accept any visa applications and no longer issue visas, except in exceptional cases of essential travel

These categories of exception, recommended by the European Commission, have been further specified at the Belgian level and can be found HERE (under 2.2) 

Visa applications for Belgium should be submitted at one of the TLS Visa Application Centers. To be directed to the TLS website, please click here.


  1. Where, when and how can you submit your visa application?
  2. How much is the handling fee (cost for processing your visa application)?
  3. Required documents
  4. Specific procedure for a Professional Card and matching visa application
  5. Checking the status of your visa application
  6. Medical certificate - Certified doctors
  7. Certificate of good conduct
  8. Contact

As of the 1st of January 2021, which marks the end of the transition period, European law will no longer apply within the UK. British citizens do not require a visa if spending up to 90 days over a 180 days period in the Schengen area. You may however be asked like any other third country nationals to justify your travel by the Immigration Officer (means of living, address of stay, medical travel insurance…).

As of the 1st of January 2021, UK citizens will need a Long Stay visa if staying in Belgium for more than 90 days whatever the purpose of stay (work, studies, Au Pairing, family reunification, foreign family members of Belgian nationals, etc.).

For a number of years now, work related matters in Belgium are not a competence of the Federal level. All questions regarding work permit, single permit, professional card and possible exemptions thereof should be addressed directly to the competent region.

1. Where, when and how can you submit a visa application?

For easy and fast processing of your visa application, the application needs to be submitted at one of the 'Visa Application Centres' (VAC) and not at the embassy. The addresses in London, Edinburgh and Manchester, as well as all other information, can be found here: London; Edinburgh and Manchester.

Third-country family members of EU citizens, when it has been ascertained that the visa applicant falls under the Directive 2004/38 EC, are allowed to lodge their application directly at the consulate without any costs. You should be aware however that the applicant must make an APPOINTMENT for any form of consular service. For security reasons you will not be able to access the Embassy without an appointment! Contact the visa section using our dedicated e-mail address to make an appointment: London.Visa@diplobel.fed.be

Where family members of EU citizens decide not to make use of their right to lodge their application directly at the consulate but to use the extra services of the TLScontact visa application center, they should pay for these services. 

2. How much is the handling fee (cost for processing your visa application)?

  1. The exact amount of the current handling fee can be found here. Please note that the handling fee, is to be paid at the time of the application. In case the applicant is exempt from paying the handling fee, he or she is not automatically exempted from paying the additional contribution. For more information about this, we refer you to the Immigration Office website.
  2. When using the VAC, a service fee must be paid. Persons that are exempt from the handling fee are not exempt from paying this service fee.
  3. An additional contribution is required for the processing of certain visa D applications, in which case you will be requested to submit a proof of payment of this additional contribution as a part of your visa application. If you are unable to do so at the time of the submission of your application, the application will  be considered inadmissible.

This is how you can transfer the Contribution Fee

The administrative fee must be paid in € (euros) into the bank account of SPF Intérieur; Office des étrangers; Boulevard Pacheco 44; 1000 Brussels.

IBAN: BE57 6792 0060 9235
Bank: BPOST SA, Monnaie Centre (no number), 1000 Brussels

When making the payment, you must quote the applicant’s surname, first name, date of birth and nationality in the following format: SurnameFirstnameNationalityJJMMAAAA Example: FISCH Elena Morocco 28021981

Bank charges: the amount paid must cover both the administrative fee and any bank charges. Before paying the fee, you must ask the banking institution making the transfer how much the bank charges will amount to. The Immigration office will check whether the amount received fully covers the administrative fee.

3. Required documents

You can download the visa application form and you will find all conditions on the FPS Home Affairs Immigration Office website, the only competent authority for the admittance, stay, residence and removal of foreigners.

You will also be able to find out information on the VAC website. You will find information about short stay (<90 days) also called C or Schengen visa on the one hand and long stay (>90 days) on the other hand.

4. Specific procedure for a Professional Card and matching visa application

If one wants to start a self-employed activity in Belgium as a foreign national, one must hold a professional card. The professional card is the document authorizing you to exercise a self-employed activity. The competence for work in Belgium is not a Federal responsibility but rather a Regional.

The applicant is invited to have a look at the relevant website of the region where he can find the conditions, application form and the list of documents that will have to be submitted.

This is the procedure:

  1. If, after careful lecture of the conditions, the applicant establishes that he qualifies and is able to submit a complete application, the application form and all the relevant documents that will have to be submitted, should be forwarded as a scanned version of the complete application to london.visa@diplobel.fed.be
  2. Do note that you will need an ACRO police certificate LEGALIZED and a medical certificate from one of our ACCREDITED DOCTORS. As this could take some time don’t wait until the last moment to obtain these.
  3. The Embassy will then proceed to an initial verification of the pre-application.
  4. After successful completion of the first phase in the Embassy, the applicant will be contacted by the Trade Delegate of the competent Region in London for a personal meeting about his application. This is because the Trade Delegate will have to give a first economic advice on the application.
  5. The next step, after the Embassy receives back the application + advice from the Trade Delegation in London, will be for the applicant to personally submit the hard-copy original application for the professional card and visa at the embassy.
  6. This will be on appointment only, you will be invited and the specifics on what will still have to be submitted will be communicated before the appointment.
  7. It is also at that moment that the handling fee for the visa application and the fee for applying for the professional card will be collected in the Embassy (electronic payment only)
  8. The Embassy submits the application for final approval to the competent region in Belgium who will make the final decision to refuse or grant the professional card.

5. Checking the status of your visa application  

Belgian embassies and consulates general must submit certain visa applications to the Immigration Office of the Federal Public Service Home Affairs for a final decision. It is the only competent authority with regards to the admittance, stay, residence and removal of foreigners from Belgian territory.

In such a case, your file number will be communicated to you by the VAC upon the submission of your file to the Immigration Office. From this stage onwards, the Immigration Office is the only authority to contact, if you wish to know the status of your application.

With the file number you can inquire about the status of your application (Antwerpsesteenweg 59B, 1000 Brussels, T: +32.2.793.80.00, infodesk@ibz.fgov.be). Using this number, you can also check the status of your visa application on the Immigration Office website.

Once a decision has been taken, The Belgian Embassy or Consulate general will inform you personally.

The Embassy is not in a position to provide any further updates on your application while the decision is pending with the Ministry. Should you require your passport back in the meantime, please contact the VAC to request a temporary withdrawal of your passport.

6. Medical certificate - Certified doctors

If you need a medical certificate, we invite you to contact one of the doctors certified by the Embassy. Please click here to obtain the list.

7. Certificate of good conduct

Please click here to find information on how to obtain your certificate of good conduct. In order to be valid in Belgium the Certificate of Good Conduct must be legalised. You can get certain official UK documents ‘legalised’ by asking the UK LEGALISATION OFFICE to confirm that the signature, stamp or seal is from a UK public official.

8. Contact

Should you still have questions, we prefer to be contacted via email on london.visa@diplobel.fed.be.  


Information on the GDPR

General Data Protection Regulation. Information to be provided to applicants concerning the processing of personal data in the Visa Information System (VIS) provided upon short stay visa applications

Privacy statement. Processing of personal data in the context of a visa application