Travel - COVID-19
We strongly recommend that you contact your tour operator/carrier to learn more about their travel requirements.
In light of the Covid-19 travel restrictions towards the UK, Belgian citizens should consult the travel advice IN DUTCH or IN FRENCH. Please check this information regularly before your trip - the rules may change at any time, often at very short notice.
In light of the Covid-19 travel restrictions towards Belgium from the UK, please read the restrictions on travel HERE
If you do not have either
- a valid vaccination certificate (= up to 270 days after second dose or indefinite validity after booster dose) OR
- a recovery certificate delivered after a positive PCR test result and available from 11 to 180 days after the positive test
you may only travel to or from Belgium if your journey is considered to be essential and you must carry an Essential Travel Certificate or official document (see below). Refer yourself to THIS WEBSITE for the allowed essential travels.
For any questions regarding the Passenger Locator Form, the COVID-19 test, vaccinations and the quarantine obligation in Belgium, travelers should check the website www.info-coronavirus.be/en/ or contact the FPS Public Health. NOT the Embassy in London.
- Their general information number when in Belgium: 0800 14 689
- From abroad: +32 781 517 71
Essential Travel Certificate
For allowed travels: the traveler is obliged to be in possession of an essential travel certificate. By way of derogation, an essential travel certificate is not required in the following situations:
- The traveler is in possession of a valid D visa delivered by a Belgian diplomatic or consular post;
- The traveler is in possession of a valid C visa delivered after 18/03/2020 by a Belgian diplomatic or consular post if the essential nature of the journey is demonstrated by the official documents in the possession of the traveler;
- The traveler is in possession of a valid C visa delivered after 18/03/2020 by a diplomatic or consular post of another Schengen member State in representation of Belgium if the essential nature of the journey is demonstrated by the official documents in the possession of the traveler;
- The essential nature of the journey is demonstrated by the official documents in the possession of the traveler.
The ETC does not exempt you from quarantine, it only allows you to enter the Belgian territory for essential reasons while travel restriction are still currently in place and travel is discouraged.
The ETC is only valid for one trip; send the request + supporting documents AT LEAST 5 (five) working days before the travel date with the documentation required to email@example.com
Requesting an ETC:
- Only if you have ascertained that your trip/travels fall under the exception categories, may you send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do specify that you are indeed unvaccinated. You do not need nor will we issue an ETC if you are vaccinated.
Your ETC request email must include all supporting documents justifying the essential character of the trip and a detailed motivation letter in order to allow us to evaluate if you qualify for an essential travel certificate or not. Please note that the Embassy does not advise on individual cases. We are receiving an enormous number of e-mails right now, largely above and beyond our capacity to reply within a reasonable time-frame. Delays are unavoidable and must be expected.
The supporting documents must be in PDF format, or word document, no other format will be accepted.
For missing or non-conforming documents it is settled case-law that it is up to the claimant who wishes to convey information pursuant to a claim that may have an influence on the assessment of his administrative situation, to fully inform the administration which, for its part, cannot be required to carry out numerous inquiries, on pain of making it impossible to respond within a reasonable timeframe to the numerous requests it receives.