Returning to Belgium

If you are a Belgian citizen returning to Belgium please consider the following.

  1. Last updated on

1. Giving notice of your departure

Please let the Embassy know that you are moving back permanently, indicating which Belgian commune you plan to register with. You can do so at the following email address:

2. Moving your personal belongings to Belgium after Brexit

If you need proof of residence, for example in order to avoid paying border tax on your personal belongings, you can ask the Consulate for an Attestation of residence prior to registering in your new local town hall in Belgium.

The department of Customs and Excises of the FPS Finance is your first interlocutor when moving your personal goods to Belgium. Please consult the page related to importing personal goods from non-EU countries

If you already know in which region you would like to settle, you can contact the appropriate regional directorate

3. Registration in a Belgian town hall

You will need to register with a Belgian commune within 8 days of your arrival. You will be automatically removed from the consular registers once this registration has taken place. It is therefore not necessary to contact the Consulate to request this removal. The Consulate does not provide an attestation of deregistration.

Once registered, your new local town hall will be able to provide you, upon request, with a “Model 2” document declaring your transfer of residence, for example if you need it in the context of moving your personal goods.

4. Working in Belgium

If you want to work in Wallonia, please consult

If you want to work in Flanders, please consult

If you want to work in Brussels, please consult

For more general information about working in Belgium, please see

5. Paying taxes in Belgium

The Federal Public Service Finance is your first point of contact:

Please check or for more information.

6. Social Security

For an overview: 

For information tailored to your situation please use the search criteria available on

Please note that the rules regarding family allowances changed on 01.01.2019. Family allowances are now a competence of the Belgian devolved entities. On you can find out which authority to contact depending on where your child lives.

7. Studying in Belgium

In Belgium, education is the responsibility of the Flemish, French and German-speaking Communities. The latter does not have any university on its territory.

If you want to study in the Flemish Community:

If you want to study in the French Community:

8. Elections in Belgium

Voting is compulsory for Belgian citizens. Please note that if you are returning to Belgium you will also be able to vote in communal and regional elections.

Do not forget to undertake the relevant steps with the British authorities. More information may be found on