Update civil status

If your civil status has changed, your file in the Belgian National Register will have to be updated.

  1. Last updated on


Every Belgian citizen has the legal responsibility of keeping their administrative file updated at all times. If your civil status has changed, you will need to update your file in the Belgian National Register.

We ask you to send your certificate of civil status BY POST to:

Population Department
Belgian Embassy
17 Grosvenor Crescent
London SW1X 7EE

You will need to send a photocopy of your passport or identity card and the original act (if recent) or a recent certified copy (not a photocopy or scan). The document can’t have been issued more than a year ago. Attention please: your certificate may need to be legalised or apostilled first (follow THIS LINK) you also need to add a photocopy of your spouse’s passport. Please include a stamped envelope addressed to yourself (preferably a Special Delivery Envelope) in which we will send back your certificate of civil status.