The identity card for children under 12 (Kids-ID)
Any Belgian child under the age of 12 and registered with this Embassy can apply for a Kids-ID.
1. What is the validity of a Kids-ID?
A Kids-ID is valid for 3 years, even when you move to a different country or to Belgium.
2. What is the cost of a Kids-ID?
A Kids-ID costs £9.10.
3. Where and how to apply for a Kids-ID?
You must send to the Embassy:
- the application form in Dutch, in French or in German duly completed and signed,
- your payment for £9.10 (Postal Order made out to “Embassy of Belgium”, we cannot accept cheques or cash),
- two passport photographs compliant with ICAO-standards in Dutch or in French.
Please include a pre-paid SAE (special delivery) to receive the Kids-ID by post.
In order to avoid unnecessary delays:
- please choose the first language of the card,
- to sign in the correct spaces.
- if the child is 6 or over: decide whether you wish to have the certificates immediately or not (see 5 below). If you wish to have the certificates, then you must come and collect the Kids-ID in person.
4. How long does it take?
The average processing time is 6 weeks.
5. A Kids-ID with or without certificates?
A Kids-ID with certificates allows children of 6 or over to identify themselves on the internet in an internationally accepted and secure manner.
You can request for the certificates to be activated at the time of application. If you request the certificates, then you must come and collect the Kids-ID in person.
OR afterwards: should you not want to include this function (certificates), then you can still activate it at a later time at a Belgian town hall or an Embassy or Consulate. You will have to come in person and bring along the PUK-code of the Kids-ID – which is sent out around the same time as the Kids-ID.
The activation of the certificates will be done immediately and is free of charge.
6. Service “Hello Parents”
On the Kids-ID there is a telephone number (+32 78 150350), which can be reached 24/7.
In the event a child goes missing and has his/her Kids-ID, any person finding the child can easily get in touch with the parents or person of confidence of the child. This happens through a cascade system of phone numbers, activated by the parents. To activate this cascade system, please see the following link for more information: www.halloouders.be (Dutch) or www.alloparents.be (French).
7. When is a Kids-ID no longer valid?
- when it is reported as lost or stolen
- when the picture no longer resembles the bearer