Identity card applications in London
What do I need to do?
We strongly recommend that you send your id-card application by post.
If, however, you want to come to the Embassy in person, it is compulsory to book an appointment via our online appointment system. You will not be allowed to enter the Embassy without an appointment.
You must be registered with this Embassy.
To submit your application, you do not need to come to the Embassy, or to make an appointment.
The Embassy recommends that you submit your application by post. To do this, you must send us:
- The completed and signed application form
- Two passport photos. The photos you supply must meet certain requirements (see explanations in Dutch or in French).
- A photocopy of your current identity card or passport OR the actual expired identity card itself
- A postal order for £18.20 made out to Embassy of Belgium - if you send the application request by post. If you have an appointment, you will be able to pay by bank card. We do not accept cash or cheques.
- A stamped (1st or 2nd class) envelope addressed to yourself (for the compulsory transmission of the activation codes of your identity card)
- A stamped Special Delivery envelope addressed to yourself (if you wish to receive the new identity card by post).
The processing time to obtain a new identity card is around 6 weeks
An id-card costs £18.20, is valid for 10 years and is issued to adults and children over the age of 12 (the ID card is valid for 6 years for children between the age of 12 and 18)
If you wish to securely identify yourself via the internet, please select this option on the application form. However, it will require you to make an appointment via our online appointment system and collect the identity card in person. Do not forget to bring along your activation codes. The Embassy will then activate the certificates on your identity card.
For information about a Kids-ID (identity card for children under the age of 12), please click here.